Friday, January 8, 2010

the "objective" historian...

I recently had a conversation with a fellow early Church student about how I view my approach to the discipline. I expressed how, for me, it was important to acknowledge that I approach these texts from a confessional point a view, as someone who accepts them as part of my community's tradition. (More on this later). She replied, (something like:)"Well I guess you are more situated than I am. I mean, as a secular historian if I'm challenged on a point I can easily change my mind."

Keeping in mind my bad paraphrase, what I heard was, "Because you are a Christian, you are obviously a bad historian who cannot handle critique of your understanding of the material." Now, I know this person well enough to know that this is not really what she meant. But it sure did come across this way. It got me thinking a bit about acceptable and unacceptable "perspectives" from which to do history...

I recently finished Liz Clark's excellent book History, Theory, Text in which she encourages historians of late antique Christianity to be more mindful of literary and critical theory. Clark provides excellent summaries and assessments of the work of everyone from Saussure to Derrida and traces the historical discipline's engagement with (or ignorance of) such thinkers throughout the 20th century. I sympathize and mostly agree with Clark's assessment of the usefulness of post-structuralist/hermeneutic/literary theory in the discipline of early Christianity. In particular, Clark rightly highlights the way in which the historian's own culture, context, and assumptions shape the way she reads a seemingly concrete text. This understanding then allows Clark to open up the meanings implicit in seemingly innocuous texts vis-a-vis power, gender, and social control.

What I regretted about Clark's work, though, is that it seemed to dismiss (if only by silence) the possibility of real scholarship that takes seriously the Church as the historian's context. While Clark is right to lament the hegemony of confessional readings of the Church Fathers and the limited range of questions and reading practices associated with such an approach, I fear she does not take seriously that some real historians are also real Christians who see their faith defined by the language that is taking shape in early Christian texts.

For me, I study these texts because of my faith. I study them because I believe Christianity is best understood as a particular cultural-linguistic community whose identity is shaped by specific types of language and practice. The study of our history, then, is the study of the development (and, at times, decline) of our shared language. Study of the early Church allows us to broaden our lexical options and imagine different types of signification within our systems of speech and practice. Simply put, saying, "Jesus is my Lord and Savior" has meant different things to different people in different periods. Yet, in some way, all these meanings are connected, and we can benefit from expanding our own appreciation for the possibilities of the phrase.

And yet, does this make me a bad historian? I don't think so. When my friend suggested that I would not be able to change my mind or except correction on a point, I think she made a category confusion. It is a helpful confusion, though, as it is made by Christians and historians alike in different ways.

There is a difference between the presuppositions I bring to the text and the conclusions I draw from it. Now, certainly they are mutually informing. Certainly, one will shape the other. This is why we need transparency in our own contextualization. But, if I say I come to the study of early Christianity with a commitment to the Nicene faith, this does not imply that I expect to find that faith proven by my historical study. That is to say, someone who questions or corrects my reading of Augustine does not thereby say anything about the faith that shapes who I am as a Christian historian. On the flip-side (I'm looking at you, Christians!) the study of history cannot in any way prove or legitimate Christian doctrinal claims. It can only help us better understand the nature of those claims.

Similarly, a feminist historian looking to uncover modes of sexual power and gender differentiation in early monastic texts does not seek to find proof in those texts that men and women are equal (or that gender is a social construct, or whatever other legitimate position one wants to insert here). No. This is a prior assumption that guides the investigation and shapes the questions. Surely if I inform Virginia Burrus that she reads, say, Athanasius wrong, she is not going to say, "Oh crap! Men are more intelligent than women! I was wrong all along!"

And no one would expect her to. Nor would anyone question the integrity of her scholarship because it comes with a particular vested interest. (Ok, some people might, but they just suck.)

Mind you, I'm not trying to play the whiny oppressed white male Christian here. That's a tired defensive line that I hear way to much in my own classes. But there is a legitimate concern here, that "Christian" scholarship is no longer legitimate in the academy. Certainly there is lots of unreflective pseudo-academic crap out there under the title "Christian scholarship." But there is also a bunch of pop-historical crap out there, too (read: the History channel). All I want to argue is that "Christian" is a perfectly legitimate context within which to do history... especially if that history is (*cough cough*) our history! Moreover, it can be just as rigorous and respectable as a "gendered" person studying the history of gender.


5 comments:

John David Penniman said...

Ployd - Good stuff here. Very illuminating. I have been curious about Clark's book for a while, but not been able to get around to it. Perhaps now I feel I ought to (btw, I am taking a class with Ben Dunning next year called Post-Modern readings of Pre-Modern texts which I hope will formally attempt something of what you are describing here).

I am still trying to figure out how to balance my commitment to the tradition with my critical examination of it. How to integrate these two modes seems critical and more difficult than originally anticipated. But I suppose this is where scholarship as apprenticeship should come in?

Either way, this is an important issue that deserves further discussion.

As an aside, I will be taking a course with Burrus in the spring on Martyrdom and Asceticism. I will let you know if she is, in fact, wrong about Athanasius :-)

A. D. Ployd said...

re: JDP... I'm jealous of your PoMo-PreMo class. I find that I have just enough knowledge of theory to look stupid when I talk about it. Mainly I've been picking it up on my own. Lewis sort of discourages ACTIVE engagement with it, though he certainly knows it and thinks its important. But he's always encouraged me to just focus on doing primary text work in classes. So, yeah, I'll be interested to see how your class goes. I'd love the book list if you have a chance. And indeed do take time to read Clark's book. It's quite good. Helps those of us who just cherry-pick the modern folk...

Evan said...

I think, on top of the Christian context of historical research, I've also found that having theological as well as historical intentions can be an awkward thing to balance. How much should constructive (or reconstructive, at least) work be admitted into historical scholarship, and when these constructive goals are identifiably dogmatic, what does that do for the prospects of the inquiry? This may be similar to what you've already said, but I think the predicament of a Christian historian could be distinguished from that of an historical theologian.

Glad to have been introduced to your blog. I enjoyed the post.

A. D. Ployd said...

Thanks, Evan. You offer good thoughts, and they definitely are implicit in a lot of my concerns. I'm glad to have discovered your blog. Folks like you and Penniman are always a bit intimidating for me because of your ability to keep tabs on current trends and happenings in the theology world. I tend to just bury my head in the sand of Maximus of Augustine. I will make good use of your blog to pretend I know more than I do!

Anonymous said...

My point was that as a secular historian I don't have to have an absolute truth. I've got biases, of course, and there is no such thing as objectivity (though we can try to approximate objectivity through argument-informed consensus), but when you get down to it, if you're a Christian historian you can't just chuck Christ out the window. I can be a nihilist (not that I want to be one) but you can't. My tolerance for how many layers I can peel off the onion is greater than yours. You are more situated because whatever either of us does to acknowledge/depart from our situatedness, you have something you cannot get rid of. Granted, my lack of having something to get rid of contributes to my own situatedness, is part of my situation (because we live in a fully deterministic universe, no? ;p), but as a Christian you have something positive that you cannot be argued away from, persuaded away from, and that makes you more easily pinned down in a particular situation.

Now, this is not to say that you can't be a good historian--or that I'm a better one because I'm shifty. Or that it impinges or should impinge on your scholarship in any way at all. What we do does not hinge on who we are--we are contributing to the argument, we are offering readings, and while I don't want this to appear like a positivist "we've all got a piece of the puzzle" thing, we are all contributing to and engaging with the same shifting "consensus," in ever-shifting conversation with one another. I don't need to know anything about you or your personal beliefs to weigh your arguments--if you want to change how we're using evidence, persuade me.

But as it seems like contingency and caution are the new common sense in academia, probing your own situatedness in your historical work seems to me like so much navel-gazing. If you need to settle your situation so you know why you do what you do, so the work you do has meaning for you, that's fine and dandy. But I don't need to know that to know that whatever work you've done on Augustine is a valuable contribution to our understanding of history, of psychology, of theology, of literature, of [insert discipline or topic here].


I think that's precisely why Clark was "silent" about the historian's context in her final "constructive" section--that type of analysis could (not would, very strong emphasis on the could) be agreed to by reasonable historians of all faith-commitments. Yes her questions are framed by her own interests, but that does not preclude you asking questions in the same way from your interest-base. How is what she did in any way antithetical to or different from what a Christian historian would do?

Her whole point was that acknowledging the historian's bias only gets you so far--she posited it in the book as an alternative to the von Ranke perspective, but ultimately as an unsatisfactory one that introduces its own problems.

You're always more situated than you know, so all you can do is try to see what you can responsibly glean from your texts and offer it up for criticism and hope it in some way furthers our understanding of something.

What's nice about this situation is that you do not have to be a two-story Christian, separating your religious life from your secular life--your faith is equally as irrelevant for your historical product as is mine.