Sunday, January 3, 2010

No longer at ease here, in the old dispensation...

I always think of T.S. Eliot's "The Journey of the Magi" when I return home to Virginia for the holidays. There is a strangeness that confronts me in the very people who are closest to me. This occurs both in my family and in my church. It is the most painful type of "otherness," the kind that highlights the gap between my past and my present as well as my inability to reconcile the two.

I'm pretty much the only one in my immediate family to get a full college education. Add to that the fact that I'm in a PhD program, committed to progressive politics and social ethics, and actually know the difference between WiFi and DSL, and I turn out to be quite the alien species to them. The hardest part for me, I think, is that their strange planet is actually my home, and they are the ones who have always supported and nurtured me. Yet, I don't know how to even carry on a conversation with them sometimes. I love my dad, but, sorry, I don't really care about Ruger's new scope for the .308 bolt-action rifle with wood-grain stock (if such a thing actually exists). My brother tries, but I just can't muster enough false interest to hear about the newest Motley Crue album. And how do I talk to them about my interests?

"Yeah, Mom, I've been reading some Gadamer, trying to figure out how German hermeneutics can help me understand the intersection of the historical horizon in my own experience. Oh and I 'm looking forward to unpacking the gnomic will of Maximus the Confessor this semester. It should really go well with my analysis of divine contingency in Nemesius of Emessa. And yeah, I just got a copy of Optatus' treatise against the Donatists. Why yes, that does in fact excite me. How was your day?"

Going to church on Sunday is equally painful. I mean, I love my home church. Absolutely love it. This community was amazing to me as a child and teenager. They provided a loving and affirming environment that I desperately needed. Much of my academic interest in theology comes from my experiences at that church. But I just feel I don't relate to them anymore. Not only do I fear the inevitable encounter with someone whom, Lord knows, I SHOULD remember but I just don't, but I also find it hard to explain what I do and why I think it matters. All I can think is, "Man, that sermon was awful. Where was the text?" Or, "These people have no real understanding of the implications of Trinitarian doctrine for their experience of the divine!"

I think that last sentiment really gets at the heart of the problem. For most of the year I live in a fantastic bubble of academic theology. The people I talk to are either other scholars or seminary students. Sure, I might find some of the students quite naive, but the academic context allows for a type of discourse that the home church simply doesn't! In a classroom, or even over coffee, I have time to discuss with a seminarian the reasons I feel history and theology matter for the practice of Christianity. I can say, hey, go read this book by Lindbeck and see what you think about inter-religious dialogue as cultural-linguistic interchange. But that ability falls away when I move into the local pew with people who don't give a flying falafel about critically examining the nature of their faith.

Maybe I underestimate them. That is certainly a fear I have. Yet often I find myself making the opposite mistake--not appreciating the differences between them and me enough. At times when I've tried to teach within the church I go over everyone's head. I forget that I cannot assume a basic level of theological knowledge, like the difference between the OT and NT (seriously). At times I rail against the failure of Christian education in local congregations. But then I realize: that's quickly becoming MY JOB.

So, I stand there, staring at the co-members of my home church as they ask how my studies are going. "Good, good," I say, "better than a real job!" A chuckle, a hug, and I'm gone, back to editing an article to submit for publication in the academic journals that now define my sense of self-worth. And yet, as I learn to speak the professional academic language, what would it mean for me to relearn the language of my home? Not as regression. You cannot return to the old country, after all. Not really. But you can integrate. You can incorporate your native tongue with your adopted language. You can learn to move between worlds and by doing so reconcile them to one another in your own self--not annihilating their otherness, but embracing it as constitutive of what it means to be a created person in a diverse world.

So that's what this blog is hopefully going to be about. I want to write about my studies, interesting things I'm learning, fun problems I'm trying to solve. I also want to write about scripture and liturgy and church. Some of this will be annoyingly academic and esoteric. But I hope that will be balanced by and integrated into my broader devotional and theological reflections. I hope to journey between Athens and Jerusalem and find myself a home somewhere in between...

maybe in Pontus...

3 comments:

Rosalind said...

Lovely insights Adam. And I think some of what you are experiencing is part of growing up, gaining your own identity away from those who raised you (which has to be done even if you live close and are close to your family). It's not all about being academic in a non-academic environment, but that part stands out to you most, perhaps. You will not always be as submersed as you are now in academic musings, even if you become a professor, so be sure to keep exploring what it means to be able to communicate in both worlds. I look forward to seeing where you musings take you. I remember when you were a lowly freshman at WFU, and now look at you! ;) BTW - the security word Blogger is asking me for to submit this comment is 'hunks' - thought you might be amused by that!! All the best! -Roz

Natalie said...

Nice post. You're verbalizing what many of us (who's us?) feel when we go home. At least that's part of what I feel...alienated, yet at home in this strange nostalgic way. I think a lot of what I am trying to practice is really listening. My dad told me that he knows someone whose New Year's resolution last year was "say less." For all our talk about conversation and dialogue, etc., saying less is the way that I got through the holidays. I think one (maybe me) could make some arguments about speaking your mind and speaking truth to those whom you know need it most, but on the other hand, just don't. And when I did say something, I tried to be positive. Also, this is speaking very much from a "my therapist is helping me through the holidays" place rather than an "exploring academy versus church talk" place. I believe in taking care of yourself...hey look how much crap I have to say. Maybe I should start a blog too!! :)

yetanotheramerican said...

Ployd, I like this and I am looking forward to following your thoughts. This is a topic we don't often discuss but I am interested in hearing about. I will like being able to follow along at my own pace :)