Sunday, January 24, 2010

the inevitable decline...

And so it has happened. What began with auspicious productivity has quickly taken a back seat to the chaos of the semester.

I had hoped to do at least one post a day, even if it was a brief sort of snippet about what I was reading. I find now that I'm just too exhausted or stressed to keep up with it.

So I solicit some thoughts on the value of this whole theo-blog thing. Namely, how important is it for academics to have a public persona? Is it a dereliction of duty to stay up in my ivory tower?


2 comments:

Stephen said...

I will come out of the woodwork and say that I think theo-blogging can be hit or miss. It requires an awful lot of effort to keep it consistent.

I think one post a day is too ambitious of a goal (for me, anyway). I think that a post every couple of days is a good shot. It helps to remind us that blogging, while it can be fun and even helpful, always takes a back seat to others things (school, family, church, etc).

That's my two cents anyway. But then again, I haven't posted since September. I've been reflecting upon the 'purpose' of theo-blogging and I think it often is destructive and self-aggrandizing. My lack of posting is in direct response to an acquaintance of mine spending hours on end polemically justifying himself before a virtual audience.

I think I will probably pick it up again soon. I will do my best to be consistent, but to keep it in its place.

With all that being said, I truly have enjoyed reading your reflections and I would love to continue to read them. But you are not in any way a failure if you step aside from blogging.

I wouldn't put it on your CV or anything...

A. D. Ployd said...

Thanks for the feedback, Stephen!